dictionaries & thesauri
- Acronym Finder: Allows one to search by the acronym or by a word in the acronyms.
- Merriam-Webster Online: The online version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary. The site also includes a thesaurus and Spanish/English dictionary, as well as numerous word-related games and information.
- Oxford English Dictionary: (Subscription required) Gives the historical development of English words. Allows for various search functions including wildcard searches and reverse look-up.
- Roget's II: The New Thesaurus: Basic thesaurus provided by Bartleby.com. Contains over 35,000 synonyms.
- Urban Dictionary: Provides user-submitted definitions to English slang terms.
- Word Net: Search words and find related terms. Words "are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms (synsets)...interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations."
- Word Reference.com: Provides translations between English and Spanish, French and Italian. Includes examples of word in use, pronunciations and idioms.